Winter usually is a sign of colds, miserable long nights and darkness. Often with a matching dark mood because you’re all snuffly and bedridden (or wishing you were!). Partly to make myself feel better about the colder months and partly to inspire you, I’ve made a list of 10 tips to making winter better.
- Make a big batch of comfort food! The more carbohydrates the better I think. One very successful recipe I’ve made is: orzo pasta + roasted vegetables (red onion, carrot, kumara, potatoes, garlic etc. – all chopped up into small pieces) + crumbled feta. Yum! It works well served both warm and cold, so make a bit of it and save it for the next day when you can’t be bothered cooking! Or invite a friend over for a wee dinner party. Wine, hearty food and friends – it’s a wonderful combination that has popular since we all lived in caves.
- Wrap up with a big stylish scarf. Here’s a few of my top picks for the girls. For the boys, may I suggest this killer yellow men’s scarf by Paul Smith.
- Hold a movie night! Some of my recent favourites have been the Indiana Jones series (which leads in well to an expedition out of the house to see the next installment. Another idea is a themed marathon – my flatmate and I are looking to do a young Tom Cruise evening soon (Risky Business, Top Gun, Cocktail) and a NYC overload (movies that star the beautiful city as a main character).
- Add to the movie night with a big bowl of popcorn. My favourite topping (ooh not healthy at all) is 2 tablespoons of butter, a cup of icing sugar and enough boiling water to mix it all together. Slather your popcorn with the entire mixture, until it is drippingly delicious.
- Pull on your shoes and go for a body heating power walk around your neighbourhood! All you need is shoes and some sort of head covering. I only just realised why my ears get sore every time I go for a walk – it’s that whistling wind, so cover them up. For bonus points, measure your distances on Google maps.
- Set some goals… things that make you want to get up in the cold mornings! My goals include taking wardrobe_remix pictures, which means I have to get up with enough time to consider outfits and take a photo. Another goal is around increasing my writing productivity, so every morning I leap out of bed and savour my writing time before work (hello Code for Something)!
- Go skiing! Whether outside carving it up or indulging in my favourite bit, après-ski, a bit of snow business never fails to make me happy.
- Make the most of the gorgeous light winter gives us – go photo mad. The shot above was taken in my candy coloured bedroom on a Sunday afternoon. Experiment with Lomos, digital camera, different lenses, new formats, expired film, Vaseline or stockings over your camera! A photo a day or a photo every hour for a day? Colour or shape themed photo missions?
- Go see a band on a cheap night. Tuesdays are good nights to go out… quieter, earlier in the evening, usually no cover charge, beer specials and it will make you feel better to get out of the house.
- Most importantly, keep up your health! I’m taking flax seed oil, 5-htp supplements (it aids my sleep as well), drinking more than 8 glasses of water a day and trying to exercise more! Don’t let the winter take you out… keep up the vitamin C and try some sort of olive leaf extract if your immune system is weaker than usual.
Yep…winter can be fantastic! It takes a little bit more effort to make the most of, but it’s a season definitely worth trying to exploit. Now only if I can listen to most of my own advice…